Little had changed.
Here is my photo essay of today's visit.
Totem Lake Mall's status as a dead mall has been exhaustively and impressively documented by Kirkland Reporter Matt Phelps in a 5-part series written in 2011:
- Part 1: The history of Kirkland's Totem Lake Malls
- Part 2: The fall of Kirkland's Totem Lake Malls
- Part 3: Totem Lake Malls' redevelopment rumors avert new business
- Part 4: The current impact of Kirkland’s Totem Lake Malls
- Part 5: The future of Kirkland's Totem Lake Malls and neighborhood
I've lived in the neighborhood 10 years and the mall is virtually unchanged from the day I arrived. Each time I drive by I feel like I am passing a mausoleum, or some kind of ruins from a 1970's civilization.
(At left: A photo from the early years of the mall)
It's puzzling that it can't be solved, the question of what to do with this abandoned tract of retail wasteland in the middle of a well-off suburb. The answers seem so simple-- "it needs lattes," my daughter suggested. I wish they'd put her in charge.